Mandala Tray Tutorial

Finally ladies and gentlemen...
only twelve days late...but better late than never, right?
first choose your wood - i am using "reclaimed" pallet panels my husband broke down for me with a sawzall -- but you could also use fresh lumber from any hardware store!

Then I used my miter saw and cut the pieces
(two long ones for the bottom and two smaller pieces for the top) picture to follow
you will also need a sander - I prefer a palm sander but this orbital works better for rough wood for me. Also I used a brad nailer and wood glue to attach the pieces together.




 I chose an oil based stain - which I applied to each individual piece and let dry for at least 24 hours before working with again -- remember to wear gloves!



i use a little bit of glue and 1" brad nails to secure the trays together

I found the hardware at Home Depot but Lowe's has them also

 cut your vinyl image, weed it

I use oracal 651 or 631 ONLY as stencil material anymore because nothing else seems worth the time! - and I use AT65 transfer film


I also after burnishing and applying my design - I use whatever color for a basecoat that is closest to the color of my wood. Saves me a TON not dealing with touching up bleeds!

once the black dries.... I select my "color" pallet -- honestly as you can see from my photo below---any and all kinds of paints!


and thank GOD I no longer "pounce" with sponges -- after I "seal" it with a basecoat I just use paint brushes!

paint each layer/color/you desire

pull up your stencil either when dry or carefully while wet

then I just add extra dots here and there 

and if you want --- you can add a second color/layer for a wording!
just spray your tray first with a polycrylic/or acrylic sealer -- 
clear spray paint -- I prefer rustoleum "matte" and let it dry 24 before adding words!

have fun and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts