Ancient Paths and New Beginnings

Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls. 
But they said, 'We will not walk in it.' 
 - Jeremiah 6:16

I stumbled upon this while reading online tonight:

It spoke of a woman's story, recounting how she had been morbidly obese at 430 lbs and at a family picnic, collapsed a metal lawn chair. How had she let herself get there? and this was the part that really stuck out to me---after finally calling her respectible "sin" of gluttony what it was "Sin," God was able to help her walk a path of obedience and she has lost over 260lbs. 

"There also was not a question as to whether this was God's direction. As I looked back through my journals, I saw the same plan.  God had given it to me at least five times in three decades. I had heard God. I just hadn't followed Him. 
When I began to walk out what I knew was His plan, I felt His wind at my back propelling me forward to health and wholeness. It's from this place I can minister. It's from this place I can complete my assignment here on earth. It's from this place I can live. 
Although I have had situations where I have strayed, I always come back to what I know is right for me. 

In this place of obedience, there is freedom, real freedom. It's not just flowery words. It is real honest-to-goodness, I-feel-it-down-in the-tips-of-my-toes freedom."

And it reminded me of years ago...my desperate cry to God to help me lose weight! Granted, I am not 430lbs, but still, sugar/junk/food have always seemed to be my Christian kryptonite! And I have had times and seasons of success and victories. If I could sit down and count the pounds I have lost in the last ten years?? I would be ecstatic, until I completed the assignment and tallied the pounds I have regained of what I had lost!  And I am VERY GRATEFUL that in this season of my life I have truly entered into a season of loving and accepting myself like I have not known I want to say since childhood, but quite literally I think a more accurate statement would be EVER! I don't hate the miror. I bless the mirror. I love what I see. I truly feel like a marvelous creation of our Almighty Father and I feel HIS delight in me and I am reflecting that when I see myself. And it's not vanity! (devil trying to project your evil thoughts of guilt and condemnation) it's ACCEPTANCE and appreciation! I am FEARFULLY AND WONDERFULLY MADE! How many times, how many years have I looked at that reflection and hated/cursed what I saw looking back at me? But now I just see beauty. His marvelous beauty on display in His beloved daughter.

BUT there is room for improvement! And I am still very much overweight. But it's not my despairing focus any longer! Jesus is my focus. Walking in communion with God and integrity and being a willing and yielded vessel in my Father's hand is my focus.  But going on this Danial Fast has hit some sort of real 'reset' button in me.  I feel a desire for health and wellness....and this lady's blog post reminded me of my own walk with God and how years ago in my desperation and crying God ALSO GAVE ME an eating plan. It was basic, it was simple. 

Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, Seeds, grains, meats
and limited dairy

That was it.

No bells, no whistles, no shakes or powders or protein bars
simple clean whole-food eating


But just like the scripture I started this post with ..
But they said, 'We will not walk in it.' ...
my heart spurned reproof
and I turned aside to my own way?
God, my friend was trying to help me, in answer to my cry,
but I said, "Nah! I'll try other things, cause, you know, this is too hard. I mean no cupcakes? no doritoes? no way!"

Well, let me just say cupcakes and doritoes are not WORTH it!
I think I finally have accrued some wisdom to where I can say the pay off is not worth it!

I will close with what the lady wrapped up her blog post with:

Sanctified sin enslaves the same as any other lifestyle that is contrary to God's best for us here on earth. And it certainly never tastes as good as freedom feels. -Teresa Shields Parker

 So, heavenly Father, forgive me for walking away from your wisdom, counsel and instruction. Forgive me for mutiny, rebellion and stubbornness. God I thank you for NEWNESS and NEW BEGINNINGS and DO-OVERS! I thank you for second and third and forty-fifth chances. I thank you for HOPE and HELP and every good and perfect gift that you give us. Lord I pray that as you gave this woman Grace to follow your plan for her life that you help me to pick up the grace that is available to me to consciously CHOOSE to return to the ancient path you have laid before me. I pray for that wind behind my sails. Bless Teresa Shields Parker and help her as she continues on her God journey, too. In Jesus precious name, Amen! 


Comments

Popular Posts